Sunday, June 26, 2005

Goodbye Gary


Gary: I think I just came.

His last day in Melbourne, Gary went to the Symphony in Arts Centre, together with Parky and I.
It was an interesting experience: we were running short of time, had to take away McDonald's for dinner.
So where rich and old people wearing tuxedos walking in with their mothers, you'd see 3 college students standing in a dark corner munching their burgers 5 minutes before show.
There's this guy with a really cool looking wheelchair. I think I said something like: You may be rich, but you still can't walk.
And we laughed. Sorrily.
The symphony was alright. I had no idea who was playing what. It was a sudden decision to go. Although it was my first time.
The conductor limps. He walked in with a cane and conducted the whole symphony sitting down.
I've always thought that I'd fall asleep in a symphony. Yet I survived. The second piece was really boring though.
The last piece 'Symphony of Chaos' took 1 hour.
Live concert is really something. The whole orchestra is like a living thing. Flowing, moving, breathing as the musicians fiddle their violins, turn the pages, scrath their noses.
Quite impressive really.

At one point the 'drummer' made a mistake. He accidentally knocked his sticks together. Although I don't know shit about symphony, but I could still tell that he fucked up.
And I'm quite happy of that. Ha.

Sitting there for a whole 2 hour, you start to imagine the lives of musicians. Like, have any of them slept with the conductor to get a part? Did that guy get bald because of music? Are they going to have a huge party after the show? Is the violinist gonna hit on the double bass player? Were their parents there to support them? Were ALL the audiences THEIR relatives?
What I don't get is that after the whole symphony, the conductor bowed, left. Came back, bowed again, and left. Then came back, bowed again and left. Is it like an unspoken rule to do so? Or they just want the applause to go as long as possible?
I like symphony. I shall do this more often.