Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Kids with beard are cute.


Insect-like battleship? Where?

Another film by Hayao Miyazaki. I never got used to his Japanese name. Coz we always call him Gong Qi Jun, Gong Qi Jun!(宫崎峻). So when people said: hey let's go watch Hayao Miyazaki!
I went: Har? Who the hell is that?
Anyway, if you don't know, he made Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Totoro and the lot that makes a normal girl scream: sooooooooooo cute! Kawaiiiiiii~*
Miyazaki has the ability to make bizarre things look so common. Most of his work contains really random and strange stuff: identical pretty boy slaves, huge blobs that wear tiny hats etc. Yet, he managed to convince the audience that such things are normal and we should take it as part of our lives.
While watching the movie you'd probably go: Hey that's cool! Wow I wish I have that dog! Ouch that've had hurt. But coming out from the cinema, you'd probably say: That's bullshit man! Only a kid will fall for that. That's stupid!
What, you saying I'm a kid? Piss off! What, what, what? Oh candy. Yum yum yum. Anyway, where was I?
The thing about all Miyazaki's work, is that they attract both adults and kids. His movies are not your usual 'Disney la la-land' shit. There're always some hidden meanings behind all that.
Believe it or not, US and UK fans treat his movies as arthouse.

At least go and relive the 2D experience. Let the God of animation show you that the world is not all CGI and 3D.
Surprising fact No.3: Takuya Kimura was the voice actor of Howl. I didn't know that until the ending credits. Just a fact.

* I really can't stand those girls anymore. I mean, yes they're cute. But gimme a break. Totoro was nearly 20 years ago. Enough of those peace signs too. Feel like chopping off their fingers everytime.