Sunday, December 03, 2006

Books I've read for the past 2 weeks

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Quite colorful, I've realised. From upper left:

69 by Ryu Murakami
Unlike In the Miso Soup, his previous book that I've read, 69 is very 'U' for general viewing. No blood, no prostitutes, no psychopaths. Just an auto biography style of a high school boy in the year 1969. A nice read, but it didn't make me flip like mad.

Purple Cow by Seth Godin
This is more like a 'how to come up with a good idea and sell it' type of book. Packed with good analogies and examples. Then again, I doubt if anyone's interested.

Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami
I think it's my 3rd time reading it. And it was actually the Chinese version but the English cover looks better. I remember feeling grossed out reading it in high school. 'WTF is Japanese thinking?' etc. But now, I can sorta get it. If I were to be in his position (best friend's died. Slept with his girlfriend, which sent her into a mental ward, fell in love with another girl in a relationship while everyone around him was committing suicide), I won't know what to do except for drinking whiskey either.

野火集 by 龙应台
I think it's written in 1983, which is depressing because the social problems raised in the book are still as prominent today. I'll skip this since no one understands Chinese here anyway.

For one more day by Mitch Albom
Just like his previous books, it's a 'let us cuddle and feel good' book. It's not that different from The 5 people you meet in heaven. Ya know, guy kills himself, realised he's actually back home with his mom. Talked a bit, apologized a bit, then escaped from the light. It's 324 times better than what I just described. I had to admit I was a bit teary in the end. Christians will like it, I guess.

At the moment, I'm reading Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman, The Complete Polysyllabic Spree by Nick Hornby, and Old Man & the Sea by Hemingway.