Sunday, May 25, 2008

Good game Paul.


I remember seeing Paul Arden's first book in the RMIT book shop counter while queuing up to pay for my mount boards.

It was small, black Helvetica narrow bolded on a white background cover, 30 pages max. The title was 'It's not how good you are, it's how good you want to be'. It looked like a 'me too' self help book. Yet for some reason I bought it.

Few weeks later I bought it for my brother. And my brother bought his 2nd book for my father, and then my sister followed suit.

It's about advertising and creativity. But at the same time, it is really a self help book. Short yet witty, simple but inspiring.

Paul Arden died of a heart attack early last month. I was shocked to stumble across his obituary because I just finished reading his last book not long ago.

Ironically, it was titled 'God explained in a taxi ride'. I hope he's in a place where he believed, fighting for the big idea.