Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Sky falls. You feel like it's a beautiful day.

The girl behind the counter gave me a free hot tea.
"There, you'll need it," she said with a smile.

It was such a Taiwanese Starbucks TV ad moment. I was half expecting the headline and phone number to pop up at some point.

And of course, being so unfamiliar with kindness I awkwardly thanked her, took the foam cup and walked out into the rain with my takeaway.

I still can't work out how to respond to a kind situation. Should I be Asian and take it as something that's expected ( Yer, give foam cup never give cap), or should I just be cynical and think that they're clearing up their unwanted stale tea?

The girl made my day anyway. I didn't see her giving hot tea to the customer before or after me. (Probably because I had that 'jacket hanging on left arm, right hand holding company bag and wet hair' look.)
So the day was wet, but warm.