Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Pronounced See-nek-doh-kay.


Once in a while, you come across one of these movies which your instinct tells you it's fantastic, yet you just can't give an articulate explanation when your friends ask, 'so what's it about?'
I've had such experience with Donnie Darko, Chungking Express, Lost Highway, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and perhaps the first Matrix.
I think since all his previous success Charlie Kaufman had been given total freedom and budget to do whatever he wants in this movie.
Will it sell? Actually it DIDN'T sell. But like Shawshank Redemption and Donnie Darko, this movie will come back and haunt the top 100 movie list for years if not decades to come.
Attempting to explain the movie would be futile, yet the casting I should add, is perfect. The impact of this movie will haunt me for days.
One of the forums in imdb mentioned 'It says a lot about you if you don't like this movie.' I agree.