Monday, April 12, 2010

Cookies are everyone's right.

Due to unforeseen circumstances, I ended up chatting with the landlord of this 11-floor building. And like any middle-age Chinese man, he started throwing me advices as if I'm his own son, who I assumed never listened to any.

One that stuck with me is: Never obstruct people on their way to success.

I'm not sure if it's an Asian thing, but I do have this experience of elders telling juniors ' When I was your age, we never had (enter basic commodities here),' or ' you need to suffer before you're allowed to be happy.'

I'm all for being appreciative and hardworking to gain skills, but suffer?

The landlord then elaborated that most people feel so threatened by the young, that they'd rather indulge in ways to make it more difficult for them to advance instead of coming up with methods to further develop his or her industry.

I agree that there's this morbid disillusion that the new generation needs to go through some unnecessary hardship to share the fruit of the current generation. Don't get me wrong, I strongly feel that sometimes the young can take things for granted, but that doesn't mean the solution is to prevent them from the basic luxuries of life?

So mum put the cookie jar on the top shelf to prevent baby Harvard from reaching it. Not because too many cookies is bad for baby Harvard, but because when she was young, she couldn't have cookies anytime she wanted.

How screwed up is that mentality?


It's one thing to reject a person if he or she is incompetent; definitely another if he or she wasn't as unfortunate as you are.