Friday, July 23, 2010

China man in America pt.6


Ok, unsurprisingly, the shitty part of America is the money.
Let's start with the notes. I can't believe I'm saying this, but Australia's system of colored notes turned out to be a great idea. I get the amount simply by glancing at the colors; yesterday I was behaving like a caveman trying to sort out the hamsters from the squirrels. Not to mention the metric system of dimes, quarters and cents. But that's probably because I haven't got the time or intelligence to get used to it.
The next problem I had, was the tax behind everything. That's right, tax is not included in the price tag and you have to calculate the total in your own head, not very disimilar with their service tips. Perhaps this is why Americans are sharper in general, because they have to perform simple maths constantly. But I really don't like the feeling that everything is not what they appear to be.
Having said that, their credit card system is awesome. We were in a shop, and this guy basically took care of payment by an iPod touch attached to a barcode scanner and credit card swipe. At Costco, you're subscribed to their own version of American Express card and receive rebates to spend in the shop.
That's not necessarily a good thing, but it sure is convenient.