Wednesday, July 28, 2010

China man in America pt.7


Well technically, I'm not in America anymore. Although, I'm still pretty much jet-lagged and whenever I'm awake at 4am I think about the sunny, awesome fried pickle serving North Carolina. And the people.
To sum up my 8 days in Charlotte, America, I have to say the major difference is the people. Americans simply have honest personalities. I'm not saying they're all honest, more like they don't try to hide who they are. And they do it with such confidence I can understand how we'd take that as arrogance.
A grocery shop assistant in Charlotte is happier than a grocery shop assistant in Melbourne. Even when I asked if I could take her photo, she'd joke about hitting the club that night. (In Melbourne any other assistant would probably call security.)
Maybe it's because I was a tourist. And being a tourist you always find beauty in what locals would take for granted. But I need to learn to inject some American confidence in myself.