Sunday, September 26, 2010

My first ever complaint letter.

Dear BSC Bikes,

I am writing this mail to complain, and also to compliment regarding your business.

Last Wednesday, my bike seat fell off at the corner of Swanston and Lonsdale. Although I was embarassed, I fortunately didn't suffer any injury. My first reaction, due to your brilliant positioning, was that you had a shop in Artemis Lane, QV. So I pushed my bike, with my seat under my left armpit, and arrived at the QV store.

Business must be going well, because I noticed there were 2 levels in the shop. A staff was on the 2nd level behind the computer doing some computing, and I was pretty sure he saw me coming in, since there was no one else in the room. However, I assumed he was busy and waited patiently for 10 minutes. He went on computing. I eventually dragged my broken bike on to the 2nd level, to which he replied 'how can I help you?'

Gee, I don't know, my bike is broken because it doesn't have a seat?

He appeared not to sense the sarcasm in my tone, took a glance(I swear, a glance) at my bike and said I need to replace the whole thing. He walked into your glorious workshop for another 5 minutes and told me the shop's ran out of a 26cm something tool. He then volunteered to call the Elizabeth street branch to check, completely ignoring the fact that he didn't even ask me if I wanted my 26cm something tool to be replaced in the first place.

Alas, I had no choice because I sent a picture of my broken seat to my boss through my phone and lied to her that I was getting it fixed. I left your QV branch with a belly of fire.

10 minutes later, I arrived at your Elizabeth street branch.

The shop assistant actually came out and touched my bike. Physical contact! He actually moved and spoke like a person working in a bike shop. Do you know what is the best part? The best part, is that he fixed my bike seat with a number 6 allen key. That's it. Nothing was broken. No 26cm-something needed. Just some tightening.

Even now, 5 days later of the incident. I can't help but shudder to wonder what if your QV shop didn't run out of the 26cm something tool? Would I be charged for $100 for something I didn't need in the first place?

How is that two shops, identical brand, offer such inconsistent service? I am confused by your product, and now I'm not sure whether my impression on your brand is a positive one.

I am writing this mail not to screw your day or demand anything (if I cared any less, I wouldn't have written at all) I'm writing for the sake of that man in Elizabeth street who fulfilled his job description. He deserves a raise, or at least a promotion. He should be running that QV shop of BSC Bikes.

Have a nice weekend.

Best regards,
The guy with a tightened bike seat.