Sunday, May 22, 2011

2 weeks. That's an improvement.


For the past 6 years, I go to Metropolis every week to pay my respect to the nice books. Sometimes the staff would tell me an interesting story or two about working in a gourmet book shop. In a way you can say Metropolis is my church.
For instance, the book depository is a UK government funded project. The books are so cheap because the government absorbs the price to ease unemployment rate. The irony, of course, is that this pretty much increases the unemployment rate around the world.
'Hegarty on Advertising' is only due out in June, but it's already on the Metropolis bookshelf for weeks. I've decided to pay twice the price on the internet for instant gratification.
I think Hegarty is pretty much the modern UK Ogilvy. I remembered swearing to myself never to buy another glorified advertising book again, but I don't know, maybe it was the orange colour or the pages that I flipped to that stroke a chord:
'It was a dysfunctional business - the creative department was constantly opposed to management and management was incapable of engaging clients with the truth.'- on his first agency in the 60s. The 60s!
'Tim explained that the only thing that keeps him sane is that, at the end of the meeting the witless assistant brand manager gets into a Vauxhall tin can to drive home and he gets into a Ferrari.' -on why creative directors buy Ferrari's.
'A club is a place people enjoy going to and spending time in. So why don't we think of the office as a club and learn from the way a club is run rather than an office?' - on creating a modern workplace.
'10 years later and we're still making TV commercials with the great ones still making headlines and changing the futures of brands. And I can't remember the last time I read anything about TiVo.' - on the fear of technology.
Hegarty wrote the book with integrity and filled some cracks with his 50 years worth of experience and stories, less the egoistic self-serve of Ogily's book. I know most of them are probably a load of manure anyway, but it paints a good picture of how great advertising should be.