Saturday, September 17, 2011

Blank page.


My copy of the 'Lemonade' DVD arrived this morning.
Upon watching it I can't help but feel a little nostalgic.
To be honest, if you haven't been in the advertising industry, and you haven't been retrenched, most likely this documentary will not strike a chord with you.
It's like watching a movie on cancer survivors while you're on your couch drinking beer.
If you didn't go through the whole emotional circle of trust and betrayal, the creative ego and humility, the pain of feeling incompetent and the relief of not selling anymore credit cards, then you probably won't get it.
This documentary is all about a bunch of people stuck in some job they hate, and finally being forced to a corner and do what they've always wanted to do.
For the optimists, it's so much about 'just do it' that Nike should've funded this project.
For the pessimists, it will sound like a bunch of losers justifying their decisions in life.
I remember the day I got retrenched. It was April Fool's day. And I wrote a post that still get mentioned by my friends from time to time.
So I am somewhat bias to think that being retrenched is a good thing. And I'll always be thankful that it happened sooner rather than later.
It taught me life lessons that I doubt many of my peers would even dare to dream of.