Thursday, October 27, 2011

Big enough?


When I came across this book in Kinokuniya Sydney I bought it in a heart beat and completely forgotten about the book I was originally looking for.
I always liked Paula Scher so I managed to finish it on my flight back to Melbourne.
(My advice for people with short attention span: learn to read fast. It works.)
Make It Bigger is an insightful book of a female designer's journey from designing album covers to being a partner at Pentagram.
In a nutshell, Paula has written the book that I would write about regarding working in the creative industry. Her early experience in a corporate design company bears no difference to my very own.
Perhaps it was the pure honesty that made this book not as popular as it should be.
I personally think no design or advertising student should look for a job before finishing this book.
Here're some of my favourites:
" Most publications fall into two basic categories: coping and craving. Coping tells you how to do something: make money, run your business, save your marriage or lose weight. Craving tells you what you should want: what to buy, where to travel, what to look like, and what sort of lifestyle to have. "
" I have profound difficulty with how advertising agencies make money. ... If the client is purchasing lots of print ads and television advertising, the amount of money becomes enormous. Copy and design are thrown in for free. And if they're free, they're worthless."
" Selling down is the simple process of obtaining approval from the most powerful people first. In most corporations or institutions, the designer faces the task of selling up. In the process of selling up, most objections to a design are expressed as "marketing concerns." Marketing concerns are usually design-punishing reactions such as not liking a particular colour or type choice, or thinking an image is "too" something (you fill in the blank). "
image via