Sunday, May 27, 2012

Done is better than perfect.



I don't hate facebook, but I'm not a fan either.
Does this sound familiar to you?

Don't worry. I'm not going to talk about IPO.
I'll be the first to admit that I have no idea how IPO works, but apparently everyone's an expert now.



I do, however, follow the facebook design group.
Similar to hackers, the designers in facebook HQ have complete freedom to take charge and solve any problems they see fit (At least, according to their videos).

This is an employee certificate to commemorate facebook's IPO. 
I've heard about facebook's mantra 'Move fast and break things', but this is the first time I've seen a second: 'Done is better than perfect'. 
And when you put the two mantras together, facebook's IPO (or everything they've done so far) makes sense.
They are just moving forward by taking the next step.
Sure timeline sucks, but they are trying to change something.
Sure the share price is lower now, but they now have more money to expand. 



I am constantly amused by how middle-class economists criticise billionaires on their billion dollar deals.
For some reason we think we can relate to them. They should stand down to our level and listen to our rationale and live their lives as we see fit.
Can you imagine an African kid writing about your decisions in life, criticising about your extravagant lifestyle and how you should spend more money to end famine and poverty? 



Right. So why should facebook care about our opinions again?