Thursday, September 01, 2005

So you come here often?

We were talking about line openers in my copywriting class today. I was given this list of famous first lines from books.
Seriously, I could only get half of them in first try. So to make myself feel better, I shall give you guys a test.
These are my favourite first lines. Do you recognize them? Answers will be provided in 3 days time.

1. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,...
2. Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun.
3. It is a truth univerally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.
4. It is this day three hundred and forty eight years six months and nineteen days that the good people of Paris were awakened by a grand pealing from all the bells in the three districts of the Cite, the Universite, and the Ville.
5. As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into a gigantic insect.
6. Call me, Ishmael.
7. Once I was six years old I saw a magnificent picture in a book about the jungle called True Stories.
8. It was the day my grandmother exploded.

First person to get it all right gets a prize.