Friday, February 02, 2007

Whiskey tastes sweet when you're in despair


I wanted to cry as much as I laughed.

Because the movie was depressing as much as it was entertaining.
Depressing because the fear of my life ending up like an IRS agent. No friends, no family, no enemies, no life.
The ironic part was seeing this guy fighting for survival, even though from our point of view, he has no reason to live.
The next inevitable step would be of course, him searching the life he always wanted. Love, music and liberation.
(Just humour me and not think of 'what if he searched but still ended up with no friends, no family, no enemies and no life?' because that would be REALLY depressing.)

I guess what I've learned from Hollywood movies, let them be tragedies or comedies, is that, the art of being happy lies in the power of extracting happiness from common things.
Alright, some guy called Henry Ward Beecher said that, not me.
Everyone only seems to realise what they really want to do after facing death. Some might want to be a vet, some might want love, some, maybe just want to play the guitar.
What we do not know, is that we are in a way living another person's dream. Let it be catching the Shinkansen to Kyoto, or being able to draw a self portrait, or simply playing with bubbles in the playground. It's just a matter of feeling content.
I want to know that I'm happy before I actually die.