Saturday, March 29, 2008

Holy marketing.

So I was approached by a Hong Kong looking guy at the lights between Swanston and Lonsdale today. He asked me:

"Do you go to church?"

I paused for a while, assuming he's trying to get me to join his church and decided to play along. I wanted to see how he'd promote his own institution of fate.

"Yes I go to the Chinese one along Queensberry Street." I said.

He looked surprised. Probably because I don't look like the type with religion, or any sort of social life.

"Oh. So you know Jesus Christ?"

Didn't I just tell you I go to a church? "Yea, I know Jesus."

"Ok. Tell me, why did Jesus die?"

Are you really kidding me? "Well, he died for our sins."

"Ok. Our sins right? Now, if you die tomorrow, where do you think you will go? Spiritually?"

I wanted to laugh, but I just held it and told him the lights had turned green and I needed to go. And even when I was crossing the streets he was still yelling "If you believe in Jesus, you will go to heaven if you die tomorrow!"

It's nothing about his intentions. It's just the way he said it. Clearly I told him I go to a church, yet he still assume that I know nothing of Jesus or merely the concept of Christianity. If I see myself as a consumer being introduced to a new church(brand), they are treating me like an idiot. Well in this case, it's not the brand's fault. It's more like the promoter failed to respect my intelligence.

If you'd want me to switch church, you better give me a damn good reason, especially when you interrupt me on the streets.

The consumer is not a moron; she is your wife - David Ogilvy.