Thursday, July 09, 2009

Arrested cultural development.

This post might be crammed with three concepts now that I only blog once a week. I've been doing that after taking a decent advice from a respected authoritative figure ie., the husband to the woman who gave birth to me. He insisted that the time I spend on blogging could be put on to other constructive use. I took on his advice and spent my extra time finishing the whole three seasons of Arrested Development.



I wanted to write a review about it, but after searching high and low on highly influential websites eg., Wikipedia, I found the most honest review on the Stuff White People Like website:

They love it for a number of reasons. Firstly, since the show was cancelled before it jumped the shark, it’s effectively like a rocker that dies at 27. Also, the show got terrible ratings, meaning that it wasn’t ‘mainstream'.

They also love it because there are a few references to white popular culture, and if there is one thing that white people love, it’s cultural references that they understand (see Garden State, The Onion, and Juno for examples).

Coincidentally to counter the credibility of the website, I found this banner ad at the bottom of the page:


(note: Stuff White People Like #11 Asian Girls.)

SWPL was also published into a book, which I bought for my partner at work for his birthday last year, hinting an irony of a non-white telling a white what he should like:



In fact having read through the list myself I've managed to relate with a lot of stuff that white people like. Maybe they should rename the website Stuff White People Like and Non White People Would Like To Have Too. Then again, it's probably not too catchy. I won't be surprised to see Stuff Asians Like or Stuff Brown People Like to appear in the next 15 years with the exact same content given that's the amount of time the rest of the world needs to catch up with white people. You know, stuff like:



Only non white people buy and carry LV bags nowadays. The only white people you see with LV bags are either the celebrities on the ads, or white people trying to score a beautiful Asian bride. So the couple would look like the ones on the Hot Chicks with Douchebags website, which has also been published into a book recently...



...but the hot chick would be Asian.

So I shall end this post with a revelation I had about wedding photography recently with LV bags: After paying huge amount of money, you end up getting the same *beep* everyone else has.