Sunday, October 04, 2009

A moment of MacGyver.

You know that opening with the blast with the climatic soundtrack 'Duh duh duh duh duh duh duh DAH! Duh duh DAH!' I had one of those yesterday.

I arrived at my friend's apartment lot for a moon cake festival dinner, but failed to remember the apartment number.

I called my friend, who wasn't picking up so I guessed he left his phone somewhere inaudible. (Because why would you avoid someone you invited?)
My bet was either 1804 or 1408. I rang both apartment, and no response from either. I called our common friends. Not one remembered the number. Some had never even been to the place.
I then saw someone coming out, hence I managed to creep in, planning to try both 14th and 18th floor.
Alas, it was one of those apartments which the elevators won't work unless you get buzzed in.
So I was there, sweating profusely. It's been 20 minutes since I arrived and the lady who was waiting for her boyfriend at the foyer was giving me sympathy stare.
Nothing was working except for the unusually strong 3G connection appearing on my phone. And then I had a stroke, of genius.
I logged on to Facebook and accessed my friend's brother's info( I'm still baffled now why I went straight to the brother but not my friend himself).
And sure enough, I found the address and managed to buzz the right apartment and had a non eventful steamboat dinner.

That was probably the brightest moment of the year for me. (The correct number was 1604)