Monday, July 16, 2012

Sushi Ginger.




First of all let me say this: Twenty and Six espresso is a nice place. I've been there a few times with different people and I get it. Besides looking like a place with hipster-theme halloween party going on everyday, they serve good coffees. They have the Josef M Brockmann book on Grid Systems on their table for viewing so they're definitely in my good books.

And what I'm about to discuss isn't happening only at Twenty and Six; it is merely the first example I can think of.

With that out of the bag, here goes:

The dish above is the Tokyo Sumo Salad. I think it costs around $20 and it is essentially a salad dish made of soba noodles, grilled chicken, coriander tossed in sesame oil dressing with Japanese pink ginger garnish.

There is something wrong with the dish.

It is the big pile of pink ginger.

Pink ginger, (or Gari as the Japanese call it) is usually served with raw sashimi.
The function is to cleanse our palette in between the different sashimi's and some say the antiseptic acidity in the Gari can prevent salmonela.
Natural pickled ginger is yellow in colour, so the pink ones we see from our local Chinese sushi chef is made from our good friend, Mr. Artificial Colour E124. It is ok to take them in tiny moderation (say one thin slice with each sashimi / sushi); not in the size of a tennis ball as seen on the beautiful picture above.

So my point is this: The dish above doesn't make sense.
There is no raw fish in it. It's a chicken salad.
I'm sure the Gari was simply there to look good and make the sell as a healthy salad. It is not.
Melbourne (can I say Australia?) is so ignorant about Asian food that'd we pay twice as much for style over substance. It is the equivalent of eating an 'Aussie' dish in Singapore that is smothered with Keen's mustard.
I may sound like a food snob, but if you're charging $20 for a salad, at least keep it real.